Home | Recipes
Previous Recipe | Next Recipe
Salsa Rojo —Time-Tested Recipe from Boulder's B&B
Note: we only suggest canned tomatoes because most of the year itís hard to get good, sweet fresh tomatoes.
- 8—12 red chilies, depending on how hot they are
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil (or 6 ripe tomatoes; 8 if they are smallish)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 T Olive Oil
- If you are using fresh tomatoes, cut them in half and roast them under the broiler until they begin to turn black.
- Peel off the skins and chop them.
- Cook the chilies in about an inch of water at a slow boil in a smallish covered saucepan for half an hour or so, until soft, adding water as necessary to not boil them dry.
- Let them cool slightly, pull of the stems and remove as many seeds as you can easily get. Some seeds are fine.
- Puree the chilies in their cooking water.
- Peel and chop the onions, and sauté them in olive oil until they turn translucent.
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan and simmer them for at least an hour; the longer the better.