Home | Recipes
Previous Recipe | Next Recipe
Spoonbread Recipe, Gluten Free Spoonbread
This product of Southern cooking is more like a pudding than a bread and is eaten with a spoon. This spoonbread recipe makes 5 - 7 small servings.
Cook time: 1 hour
Temp: 375 F
- 2 c milk
- ½ c honey
- 6 T butter
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 t salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- Scald milk (do not boil).
- Stir butter, honey, cornmeal and salt into milk. Cook, stirring constantly until cornmeal comes away from sides of pan and thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Add beaten egg yolks and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Bake 1 hour at 375.